The Web has been buzzing lately with the news that a Kardashian boycott is gaining steam. My response is, GET A LIFE PEOPLE!! According to a New York Post article, over 125,000 people have gotten online and joined a petition for the E! channel to quit airing anything Kardashian-related. Dont these people have anything better to do? Lets not forget that this is a free country. Just because we dont like something we cant ban it forever. Once upon a time people got in trouble for burning books they didnt like. Isnt this the same thing?
I might be a little biased because I do watch the show and I really do like the Kardashians. I think that if these folks had ever watched the show they wouldnt be so quick to judge. Yes, the Kardashians probably stage some of the episodes. So what? There is no doubt that what they put on the show is really happening in real life. Kourtney really did have a baby. Khloe really is married to Lamar Odom. All of that is real. It was clear when watching the build-up to the marriage between Kim and Kris that these two were in trouble. They fought a lot and it was very apparent that Kris Humphries was a giant weirdo. Yet we also knew that Kim has been dying to get married and is very much of a hopeless romantic. She wanted to believe what she had was real even though it was clear to the audience that it wasnt. The Kardashians claim that they made no money from the wedding although reports have circulated that they made millions off it. Who are we to believe?
The reason cited on the petition that the show should be banned is that the Kardashians are poor role models. Yet again, if you watch the show, you will probably find some good messages and real feelings too. Consider the evidence:
- Robert Kardashian (their father) died suddenly of cancer when the kids were teenagers. This really affected them and they still talk about their father a lot. They all get choked up when they talk about him and these feelings are clearly very real
- Kim Kardashian doesnt even drink. Her sisters are always getting mad at her for being such a boring party girl.
- When the shows first started airing, all three sisters including Kim were working in their Dash boutique store on a daily basis. These girls arent your typical Paris Hiltons. They really do work hard and although theyre in the headlines a lot, they arent trust fund babies who never work. They work hard for what they have.
- People are talking about boycotting the Miami show, Kourtney and Khloe take Miami. Again, the entire reason they went to Miami was to open up a new store. They unboxed all the clothes, hired the workers, etc. This is real life.
- Why should we boycott all Kardashians just because Kim made a mistake? Kourtney is a very real person. When she had her baby, she struggled with typical Mom issues that all Moms can relate to. They even showed her using her breastpump in one episode.
The bottom line is that in our society, we have plenty of role models for our children. Some are good and some are bad. Yet we are still a free society and we have the ability to choose what we watch and dont watch. There are many celebs out there that are much worse role models than the Kardashians. I say lets move on with our lives and let people watch what they want to. Get a life people.